iRAP is looking for a collaborative and enthusiastic person with a passion for safe mobility and experience in road infrastructure safety to join our team.
In this newly created role, the Safer Journeys Lead for Africa will work with a range of partners to create safer roads and safer journeys for everyone.
The Safer Journeys Lead for Africa position is part of iRAP’s Partnerships For 2030 Impact strategy, which places partnerships at the heart of the program and recognises the many successes in eliminating high risk roads that have been achieved though collaboration between road authorities, development banks, donors, institutes, NGOs and the private sector.
The target of the 2021-2030 Decade of Action for Road Safety is a halving of road death and injury and across Africa countries are putting into place plans that align with the global target.
The Safer Journeys Lead for Africa will support efforts to ensure that roads and designs are fundamentally safe and accessible for all modes, abilities, and journeys, which will be vitally important in achieving safety and sustainability targets across the region.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Implementing iRAP’s Partnerships For 2030 Impact strategy in Africa.
- Collaborating with, and supporting, partners to implement the Global Plan for the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021-30 in the context of more sustainable, active and inclusive transport as set out in the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Supporting partners in the development of evidence-based national and region policies that promote road safety.
- Supporting the use of evidence-based infrastructure safety management initiatives such as Star Ratings for Designs (SR4D), Star Rating for Schools (SR4S) and partner-developed tools.
- Supporting the growth of local capability to perform road safety assessments through training and accreditation and the establishment of locally-led RAPs.
- Building on well-established global and regional networks and connecting partners with common needs and potential to create safer roads and safer journeys for all. This includes actively engaging with key counterparts in partner organisations such as the African Union, development banks including African Development Bank, World Bank, European Investment Bank, bi-lateral donors, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), World Health Organization (WHO), Global Road Safety Partnership (GRSP), Global Alliance for NGOs, and national road agencies, NGOs and institutes.
- Representing iRAP at a senior level in national and international meetings and events.
- Collaborating with and supporting iRAP’s main donor, the FIA Foundation, on its Design for Life 2030 Agenda, focusing on safe streets, clean air, and climate action.
- Encouraging input from among partner organisations in innovation and development initiatives such as AiRAP and CycleRAP through iRAP’s innovation framework and Global Technical Committee.
The Safer Journeys Lead for Africa will report to the iRAP Global Programme Director and work closely with iRAP team members and partners.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in road infrastructure safety policy, strategy and/or implementation in Africa, preferably including experience working with a road agency or authority, be familiar with African and global sustainable development policy agendas, and have outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English, French and, ideally, Arabic.
The role can be performed remotely (the candidate will require their own ‘home office’ facilities including a reliable internet connection, an up-to-date computer and a safe and appropriate environment to work in), and/or embedded within a partner organisation. Flexibility to meet the time zones of lead partners will be essential.
How to apply: Applications for the Safer Journeys Lead for Africa role may be submitted via this application form.
Applications must be submitted in English by Friday 27 January 2023 (midnight GMT).
For enquiries, please contact Greg Smith, iRAP Global Programme Director, at email@example.com