Welcome to IndiaRAP’s inaugural newsletter – September 2020
IndiaRAP was launched in 2017 by the Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Hon. Nitin Gadkari at the 98th International Road Federation World Road Meeting held in Delhi. Our vision is for an India free of high-risk roads.
Hosted by the Asian Institute of Transport Development (AITD), with sponsorship from FedEx Express and supported by the FIA Foundation, the IndiaRAP programme is tackling the highest risk roads in the country in partnership with the World Bank, national and state agencies and toll road companies. The programme is being led by local experts, using local road safety knowledge and resources, supported by the global network of the International Road Assessment Programme (iRAP) with experts across more than 100 countries.
We’re proud of our programme accomplishments which have included:
- Establishment of the local programme hosted by not-for-profit agency AITD and building of the core team
- Capacity building and strengthening of government and other organisations responsible for planning, designing, building, and maintaining roads
- Advocacy to develop and adopt (1) national and state-level road safety policy and guideline outcomes, and (2) project level design and policy outcomes that improve road safety
- Effective communications with stakeholders and government organisations sharing the progress
- Training and accreditation of local suppliers to enable them to deliver high-quality iRAP services
- Road safety assessments delivered locally
- Launch of the IndiaRAP website
We are immensely grateful for FedEx’s support of our programme. IndiaRAP, as a FedEx-sponsored initiative, recently featured as a leadership case study in an international executive book “2020 Cases in Strategic Management: A Flexibility Perspective”. If your company shares our vision for an India free of high-risk roads and would like to get involved as a CSR supporter, please contact email@example.com
This issue provides a snapshot of IndiaRAP’s activities. Enjoy!.