Won’t you join us to attend the 2023 Asia Pacific Road Safety Seminar and Asia Pacific Regional Road Safety Observatory (APRSO) Meeting to be held 5-7 December in Manila?
The Asia Pacific region has a critical need for safer road infrastructure. 82% of roads in the Asia Pacific rate an unsafe 1 – 2-stars for safety of pedestrians, 81% for bicyclists, 72% for motorcyclists, and 59% for vehicle passengers.
The iRAP Safety Insights Explorer sheds light on the very high human and economic cost of road crashes, how safe the roads are, and excellent Business Case for Safer Roads in the APRSO region:
The APRSO Annual Meeting and the GRSP Regional Road Safety Seminar is a high-profile combined regional event hosted by the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
Taking place from 5 to 7 December, the event will address key topics in road safety relevant to Asia and the Pacific, and is designed to give participants a deeper understanding of effective, evidence-based interventions which can be applied towards the goals of the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021-2030.
The event will address implementation of the Global Plan for Road Safety with the following objectives:
1. Facilitate transfer of best-practice road safety knowledge
2. Strengthen ties among road safety institutions and professionals
3. Promote evidence-based policy and decision making
4. Raise awareness of the major road safety trends and challenges
5. Promote the support available to low and middle income countries.
A range of key stakeholders are anticipated to attend including representatives from Asia and the Pacific governments, World Health Organization, UNESCAP and other key UN agencies, multilateral development banks, the private sector, research and academic institutions, civil society organizations, and the Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies.
The program will combine the technical presentations of the APRSO Annual Meeting with the presentations of the GRSP Regional Seminar. Topics to be covered include:
- Findings of the to-be released WHO Global Status Report on Road Safety 2023
- Global and Regional Plans for the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021 – 2030
- New funding models for road safety
- Speed management and the link to the sustainability agenda
- Private sector initiatives
- Innovative technologies
- Legal frameworks
- Gender perspectives in transport planning
- Powered two-wheeler safety
- Road policing initiatives
- Design of successful supporting road safety public awareness programs
- Lessons learned from road safety advocacy programs
- Road design best practice
See the speaker line-up here.
The event is designed to allow significant active contribution from all participants, with a series of workshops that will allow all attendees to bring forward their expertise and share common challenges and opportunities.
The iRAP team (Greg Smith, Judy Williams and Monica Olyslagers) will be in attendance to share the safer roads activities of Asia Pacific partners, enabling factors for best practice implementation of speed management, new and effective funding models, and iRAP innovation, tools and technologies.
This is a free, in-person event and is open to all interested parties.
For more information and to register, click here.