150 participants attended an iRAP Special Session today on Safer Infrastructure as part of the Vision Zero Academy Course, Brazil.
The 2 week digital Course for the Brazilian National Secretariat of Transport launched on 1 February and includes the participation of road safety experts from the Swedish Transport Administration (Trafikverket), World Health Organization, World Resources Institute, Volvo Group Brazil, Volvo Cars Brazil, iRAP, World Bank Global Road Safety Facility, Swedish Police and international partners.
The course is a great example of successful international collaboration and capacity building in road safety, helping to increase the dialogue between road safety professionals internationally. It aims to provide a deeper understanding of the Vision Zero concept for key actors working in road safety in Brazil, and lay the foundation for the development and implementation of the new National Road Safety Plan.
The iRAP Session on Safer Infrastructure included:
- Introduction and Global Update – Greg Smith, Global Programme Director, iRAP
- iRAP and the Global Plan for the Decade of Action – Edgar Zamora, Safer Journeys Regional Leader (Americas), iRAP
- The iRAP methodology – fundamentals of Star Rating – Luiz Guilherme Rodrigues, Diretor de Planejamento e Pesquisa, Departamento Nacional de Infraestrutura de Transportes (DNIT)
- Innovation projects – SR4D and AiRAP – James Bradford, Global Technical Director, iRAP
- Star Rating for Schools Case Studies – Rafaela Machado, Star Rating for Schools Global Coordinator, iRAP
- CycleRAP – safer bicycling and micro-mobility – Shanna Lucchesi, Project Coordinator, iRAP
- Impact Investing – more yes, but better investing – Shanna Lucchesi, and Edgar Zamora, iRAP
- Case study – The Slovenian road safety success story – Jure Kostanjšek, Secretary General, Automobile and Motorcycle Association of Slovenia (AMZS)
iRAP was pleased to share the success of the global iRAP and local BrazilRAP Programmes and how they can support local partners to eliminate high-risk roads in the country and elsewhere.